Stop French Bulldog Biting
Has your French Bulldog started biting? This behavior should really not be tolerated as that bite could one day hurt somebody. So take the below information and stop your French Bulldog biting today!
French Bulldog Biting at the Puppy Stage
You may view your French Bulldog puppy’s biting as just a little bit of fun. However, if they are allowed to bite now then it is likely they will continue to bite as they get older. Therefore, the best time to stop your French Bulldog biting is right from when they are a puppy.
So keep reading as the following advice will help you stop your French Bulldog biting at the puppy stage.
- The first thing you need to do is establish your alpha leadership position. This will show your French Bulldog puppy that you are the one in charge of your family (or pack in dog terms). If you do not establish yourself as the alpha leader then your French Bulldog puppy may try and fulfill the role themselves. One of the ways they might do this is by biting. Therefore, to prevent this biting behavior, it’s best you establish your alpha leader position right from the moment your new French Bulldog puppy enters your home. The best way to do this is by making sure you do everything prior to your French Bulldog puppy. For instance, always eat your food before your French Bulldog puppy and make sure they are the last to go through a doorway.
- The second thing you need to do is set ground rules such as a complete ‘no biting’ policy. It is very important that you stick to this rule. Do not be inconsistent and let your French Bulldog puppy playfully bite one day but then tell them off the next. Inconsistency like this will only confuse your French Bulldog and they will not learn that biting is wrong.
- If your French Bulldog puppy bites you let out a “yelp” sound. This is a similar sound that your French Bulldog’s brothers and sisters would have made if they had been bitten. Repeat this every time your French Bulldog puppy bites you. Overtime, they should come to realize that biting is not okay behavior.
- Teething or chewing can actually help relieve some of your French Bulldog puppy’s teething pain. Therefore it’s a good idea to invest in some proper dog chew toys which you can pick up from your local pet store. If you notice your French Bulldog puppy still chewing on something they shouldn’t then quickly replace the item with one of their designated chew toys. Overtime your French Bulldog puppy should learn what they can and cannot chew.
These are just some of the tips out there to help you stop your French Bulldog puppy biting. And remember, try to stop the behavior while they are still a puppy as this will lessen the chance of your French Bulldog continuing to bite as they get older.
French Bulldog Biting at the Adult stage
If your French Bulldog was allowed to bite as a puppy then the behavior may continue as they reach adulthood. If this is the case then you need to get the behavior under control as soon as possible. If you are unable to do this yourself then you may want to look at hiring a processional dog trainer. They are professionals and would help you get the biting under control.
If your adult French Bulldog has just started biting, and it is not their normal behavior, then there may be an underlying cause such as the following:
- Your French Bulldog may have an underlying health issue which is causing them to bite as they’re in pain. To rule this out take your French Bulldog to the vet for a full checkup.
- Your French Bulldog might have a case of anxiety. If you feel this is the case then try and figure out what may be causing this anxiety. Once you have figured this out you can then take steps to help your French Bulldog overcome this anxiety.
No matter what stage your French Bulldog is at, biting should not be tolerated. So take the information in this article and stop your French Bulldog biting today.